City of Seattle selected Cardwell Architects to restore and rehabilitate
Fire Station No. 6, which was constructed in 1931 and is one of
the finest examples of Art Deco design in Seattle. The work included
carefully restoring the building and designing an addition which
the respected the strong architectural character of the building.
Intricately detailed concrete formwork required for the addition
involved working with specialists to replicate the original design.
New apparatus doors were designed from the original 1931 drawings.
The Art Deco styling included the lighting bolt window ornaments
mounted over the apparatus doors.